Thursday, November 13, 2008

Baby Advice

Ok, so everyone (not necessarily you guys) has been very generous in this area since I got pregnant, so y'all don't be shy now! ;-) Speak up and help a new mom out.

1.) Hospital bag. When do I pack it? Anything important I need to remember that I might not think of? Anything people didn't tell you about beforehand that you wish you'd had once you were in the hospital?

2.) Which were your favorite brand of diapers? We mostly have pampers, but I'm wondering if we've gone wrong by buying almost all pampers. We've stocked up slowly on sizes 1-3.

3.) (Getting a little more personal) What type of nursing bras did you like and how do you know what size to get? Do you buy them after the baby was born? Also, a couple of friends have told me that the tank tops were wonderful...any opinions on those?

4.) Anyone had a prenatal massage? Know of a reasonable priced place that does a good job? Would you recommend bothering with a prenatal massage?

5.) We are looking at getting a video camera for this new, exciting time in our lives. What brand do you all have and how do you like it. Where is the best place to purchase them and who has the best deals on them?

6.) Pediatricians. Who in my area LOVES their pediatrician? Who is fine recommending them but doesn't love them but has nothing bad to say about them? (Not that I don't want the best for Jake but maybe no one loves their pediatrician, and I still need somewhere to begin my search. Jeremy has really been on me about this!)

7.) I know I'm forgetting things I wanted advice on so any other advice or tips you think might help us out in the coming weeks feel free to share.

Thanks in advance for your responses! :)

post signature

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Pampers. Hands down. I won't use anything else. Even if they are on sale.

Never had a prenatal massage. I was too nervous. My friend had them because her back was bothering her and loved them.

Love my pedi but I doubt you want to drive to Katy. Ha!

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

I haven't been a NEW MOM in SOOO long! Bleh...I am blank on all the above. Grr! People are giving me baby fever...just kidding.

I did use Pampers too. They are the best and really not too expensive.

Best of luck..if something comes to me I'll let you know.

Jessica said...

We love Pampers and Huggies Supreme (not regular Huggies, I think they are called Baby Dry or something like that... I don't know forsure). They have both been the same as far as working well with Kinley. I only like Huggies best because Pampers have a horrible smell, dry and wet and smells really bother me. I have also heard for boys Pampers are better than Huggies - well... that is my 2 cents worth, not that I needed to type it, you are on the way to my house in a couple of mins... I give you my other notes on the other subjects then...

Rachel said...

Pampers are great and if you use them, be sure to enter the codes on their website. For each product you buy they add up to free gifts. I wish I had known this when Taylor was born!! Also, Motherwear.com is a great website for nursing bras & shirts. I loved their sleep bras and wore them all the time. And any type of "henley" t-shirt is good. (the kind with a few buttons in the chest area) As for a pedi, I really like ours. We have actually seen all of the dr.s in the woodlands pediatric practice. Dr. Flanagan is really nice and doesn't get too worked up over little things. Dr. Bhakta is great and very detailed. Dr. Irani was great when we took Taylor downtown. She called all the other dr.s for us. We only saw Dr. Lapis once but I've heard others really love her. Ok I know this is really long but... for the hospital bag, at your appts. in the last month your doctor should give you some indication of how close you are to delivery (this can always be wrong too!) They'll be checking your cervix and all that. So, you'll probably get a good idea of when you need to be really prepared. Go ahead and pack anything you want at the hospital that you don't currently use everyday and then even if the baby comes unexpectedly, Jeremy can grab the few things you'll need. Don't bring diapers to the hospital - they'll give them to you. Ok, anything else I think of, I'll tell you in person.

The Oliverios said...

Don't forget a razor for Jeremy. The ones you can get at the hospital gift shop are really bad. There are big cuts on John's face in all the pictures if you look close! :) I love Dr. Bhakta. We had a bad experience with another Dr. in the same practice, though. It involved an ambulance. You may want to ask me in person. We are big fans of pampers. They are way softer, so they don't have the gaps and they catch stuff better. Oh - and tuck his pee pee DOWN when you put a diaper on! After the 3rd wardrobe change at 2 in the morning, we finally figured this one out - AFTER the O'Connors clued us in. What wonderful friends! I am so excited for you!!! Love, Jenn

The Oliverios said...

Oh! And the Memorial Hermann hospital has the best selection of nursing bra's so you can wait till after he is born and buy some on your way home if you want.

Matthew, Nikki, Luke and Lily said...

We are definitely loyal Pampers users, but only the Swaddlers and Cruisers. I've never really liked the Pampers Baby Dry. As far as nursing bras...Rachel got me started on the Motherwear sleep bras and they were great, but I got the most use out of my Glamourmom tanks. I tried a bunch of different kinds of tank tops and the Glamourmom ones were the only ones I liked. I also really love my pediatrician, Dr. Purcell with STEP Pediatrics. I haven't seen the other doctor in the practice, but I have seen the nurse practioner a bunch and I really love her too.

Amanda said...

Thank you for the responses guys! I am writing them down and am so glad you took the time to share your wisdom with me! :)

Sarah said...

Okay...you know me and my TONS of advice...so I'll try to keep it brief(sorry, I couldn't): We used Pampers with Logan (only swaddlers and cruisers though). We use Huggies Supreme with Elly. Once Logan got older, we used Target brand during the day and the expensive ones at night--they were good later, when we weren't going through as many. I would HIGHLY recommend sheet savers in the basinet & crib and the Ultimate Crib sheet for the crib...with a boy, its a lifesaver. (In my experience boys leak a lot more often than girls and this allows you to rip the sheet off in the middle of the night without having to completely take the matress out of the crib to change the sheet, just put a real sheet under it.)
Surprisingly, I got a new bra from a friend because she swore by them...from Wal Mart...yes, you read that right...I wash it nearly every day because it is the most supportive, comfy one I've found with either child. It has padded straps, so it won't be great for summer, but its great for now. I would stay away from underwire...too easy to get mastitis. I was not a fan of the tanks unless I'm around the house (then I love them) but I like to be more "covered" when I'm out and about (ie--nursing in the car, or at church or a nursing room at the mall, Babies R Us, etc. when someone's going to inevitably bust in) I like that you can just kind of pull your shirt down rather than hanging out there.

Okay, hospital bag: lots of snacks for Jeremy, a real fluffy towel for you to take a shower with--hospital towels are all sterile, so they're hard and itchy and small, a blanket or warm clothes for Jeremy--if you were to have to have a c-section (which I'm praying against)then you'll freeze him out of the room...I promise! Clothes for the baby, etc. They'll have wipes, lanolin (for you) diapers, etc. We took clothes and our own blankets (see sterile, itchy comment) for the babies too...that's enough for now...Good luck!!!

Oh and ask detailed questions about what is in the nutrition room...with Logan I didn't...with Elly, I just walked down there myself and this is what I found: coffee, tea, popsicles, pudding, ice cream, jello, cranberry juice, yummy butter crackers, plain crackers, plain milk, chocolate milk...no one told me that...with Logan I had ice chips and my own jello and drinks from Chick-Fil-A...hmmm...

Oh..and my pedi was Dr. McKillip...I miss her terribly...I loved her.

The Brays said...

I have always used huggies and huggies wipes. Pampers diapers I have heard are better for boys. I know that I don't like their wipes at all.
I don't want to scare you or concern you with anything so the only advise that I want to give is......if he is not an easy baby and cries a lot...I am here then to give lots of advise.
You will do great! Always remember you are the MOM!