Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another Surgery?!?

Ok...so I should update the latest on my thyroid saga!! :) Well, I'm not sure how connected this is to my thyroid, but this saga now involves my brain! When I went to that new endocrinologist I loved a couple of weeks ago she found out that my cycle had not returned since before Jake was born and also that some of my hormones were measuring high. So, that's why she sent me for an MRI and abdominal ultrasound. The abdominal ultrasound came out perfectly normal. The MRI, however, did not. I got a call from the dr's office last Thursday asking me to come in on Friday (the day before Jakey's party). I thought that was a little quick, which made it a little suspicious! So, Jeremy took a sick day and came with me while my dad kept Jake. Right when she walked into the room she told me that she was glad that I brought my husband. Both of our hearts sank. We knew that was bad news! So, she proceeds to tell us that she found a 1.8cm tumor on my pituitary gland which is in your brain. She then told us that was quite big for that area of the brain and so she would refer me to a neurosurgeon and that he would probably want to take it out. She also scheduled me an ophthalmologist appointment for the next Monday and also a lab appt to go get more blood work.
By Tuesday I had received a call from the neurosurgeon's office asking me to come in the next day. Soooo.....I saw him yesterday and he was awesome! He was friendly and very understanding and spent time explaining my options to us and explaining what was going on and showing us my MRI films. My type of tumor cannot be shrunk with medicine, and is already affecting my vision. If the tumor is left in my brain, it could possibly cause total vision loss down the road. Surgery will be within the next two weeks and will require 2-3 nights in the hospital. I think the best news of all may be that they can go in through my nose which will not leave any scarring or even need an incision at all!
We are unsure if this is going to solve all of my hormone problems, or if it will cause more problems for me. So, not much to report other than...please pray! Wow...a baby, thyroid surgery and brain surgery...all within 12 months! Crazy!
I'll try to keep y'all posted!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I will definitely be praying for you! Keep us updated, especially when you found out what day the surgery is.

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

Prayer submitted, I am sure all will be fine.

Grandma said...

Thinking and praying for you since Jess told us. Our church is also praying so hang in there. We love you!! (Kinley's Grandma)